We are proud to be once again sponsoring The ART of Driving this June by donating $1 from every haircut to this organization dedicated to keeping teens safe on the road.
The stats are sobering. We will share just a few from The ART of Driving website:
- 48% of all teen driving fatalities were single vehicle crashes.
- Alcohol and drugs are NOT major causes for these fatalities – representing only 20%.
- Inexperience and distractions are the leading cause of teen driving fatalities, particularly for 16 and 17-year-olds.
- 54% of all teen passenger deaths occurred when another teen was driving.
- The teen brain has not fully developed until the mid 20’s. They are susceptible to distractions, risk taking behaviors, and a limited capacity to multi-task.
- 80% of crashes involve some form of driver inattention within three seconds before the crash.
- The majority of teen auto fatalities occur on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Most of those deaths occurred between 9 p.m. and midnight.
- 16 to 18-year-olds have the highest crash rate of any other age group.
The ART of Driving spreads its message of safe teen driving through a variety of presentations. Presentations can be arranged for schools, youth organizations, churches, civic groups, driver education programs, and even for groups of concerned parents wishing to sponsor presentations for themselves and their teen drivers.
The ART of Driving was founded by Robin Thompson in memory of her daughter Renee Ashley who lost her life in a single vehicular accident when Renee was just 16 years old. Robin has dedicated herself to helping teach parents and teens the many dangers associated with teen driving and how to help your teens stay safe on the road.
If you love to run and would like to help support The ART of Driving, be sure to sign up for their 2nd Annual ‘Survive the 5’ 5k run here.