We love what Ellie’s Hats is doing for children battling cancer — our February community outreach partner
In the spring of 2013 a little girl named Ellie was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. By the time she started kindergarten in the fall, she had lost most of her hair and was wearing hats to school every day. Ellie’s Hats was born after one of her teachers, Jay Coakley, noticed how much cheer and individuality the hats brought to Ellie. He wanted to share that feeling with other children who suffered from childhood cancer and to also raise awareness.
Ellie’s Hats mission is to brighten the day of a child who is battling cancer. They do this by sending a package of hats and other items for the child battling cancer and their siblings. They include hats for the siblings too because often they feel left out. They have sent over 1,300 special packages to children across the country. For families in Northern Virginia, which is where they are located, they are able to do more than send them hats. They provide financial support and do whatever they can do to make these kids’ days a little brighter.
Ellie’s Hats is a 100% volunteer run non profit.
Here are a few other things Ellie’s Hats has done for kids battling cancer: #morethanjustahat
- Donated $1,000’s worth of gift cards and checks
- The “Hero Bag” Program at Inova Children’s Hospital. (A special bag is given to every newly admitted pediatric cancer patient)
- Supply the food and drinks for the nourishment room and the PSV Clinic in Falls Church
- Donated $10,000 to The Pediatric Oncology Family Support Fund in 2016
- Donated $10,000 to Novant Hemby Children’s Hospital in 2016 to help them remodel their treatment room.
- Gave three $1,000 Gift Certificates from a local auto repair shop to local families.
- Helped a teenager go to a Wizards game and get to meet Steph Curry.
- Had Kirk Cousins record a special video to a high school senior who was recently diagnosed with cancer.
- Donated ipads, VR goggles, Play Stations, Nintendo Switches, Robots from Double Robitics.
It’s an honor to once again support Ellie’s Hats this February as our community outreach partner. We will donate $1 from every haircut this February from our Fairfax and Dulles locations to this very special, local non-profit.