Summer Chlorine Conundrum
We were recently asked by one of our long-time clients, “what do I do about the CHLORINE?” She recently signed up for a charity Sprint Triathlon, Tri 4 Love, and has been getting in a lot of pool time. She’s noticed a build-up of chlorine on her hair and some drying of her highlighted ends. Here’s the chlorine-busting regimen we recommend to keep your hair healthy.
- Go into the pool with wet hair. Those signs that ask you to rinse *before* you enter the pool have a lot of wisdom. Not only does it give your body a pre-rinse to rinse away any sweat that may be on your skin, but it can protect your hair from chlorine absorption. When your hair is dry, it’s porous. When it’s wet, it’s not. If the hair is wet, it will absorb less chlorinated water than dry hair.
- If you couldn’t pre-wet your hair, use a little conditioner on your ends before getting in the pool. Don’t go crazy, just a light covering of your tresses will do. This follows the same theory as a pre-rinse: if your hair is saturated with good clean water or a good conditioner, the less likely it is for chlorine to enter the shaft of your hair.
- Rinse your hair as soon as you can after swimming. We aren’t talking a full-out shampoo, although you should do that as soon as you can, but rinse the chlorinated water out of your immediately after getting out of the pool. Yes, even at breaks.
- Use Kevin Murphy STAYING.ALIVE, an amazing leave-in treatment that moisturizes and protects the hair. This stuff is miraculous!
- Pre-wash your hair once or twice a week with Kevin Murphy MAXI.WASH. This detoxifying shampoo contains anti pollutant ingredients that removes build-up, such as chlorine. Apply to wet hair, massage in, leave on for one minute then rinse and wash with your favorite Kevin Murphy wash.
- If your ends have had it, use Kevin Murphy REPAIR.ME once to two times a week. This reconstructing shampoo has powerful proteins from Bamboo and Silk amino acids that will strengthen your hair while gently removing impurities.
- Come in monthly for a Kevin Murphy TREAT.ME hair treatment. Our fabulous, customized, in-salon treatment is just $29 and will be mixed at the bowl specifically for your hair-type.
You can still have awesome summer pool fun and not worry about the summer chlorine conundrum. Our amazing team at our Fairfax salon or Loudoun salon is standing by to help you LOVE YOUR HAIR.